The Glimpse

The Oilman sat down next to me on the back porch, our monthly budget pending before us. A muscle trembled on his right shoulder then he sighed. 

Our budget-cut to pieces- preparing for what lies before us. Fat trimmed. Questions still unanswered. Do we prepare for a famine? A possible job loss? Or do we keep living the way we are now? 

Joseph's words in my head as he prepared Egypt for the famine. So we prepared our budget.

The Oilman caught a glimpse of the stunning red Cardinal in the distance. His head bows and he whispers, "God's been doing this a lot to me today. The tiller broke, I tossed it aside out of frustration and turn to face a small flower in the corner of the grass. I sit here dreading what tomorrow brings, and God shows his glory in a small red bird, as if to say, "Don't worry, I'm in total control."'

I love how God speaks to people's hearts. We just have to be willing to listen, to acknowledge, and believe. To have the faith - like my Oilman - that no matter what the moment or tomorrow brings, God still has beauty to be found. In the mud, the broken tillers, the lost jobs... beauty is present to shine a light on the Creator. 

“Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.
By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.
And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.”
Hebrews 11:1, 3, 6 NIV

Comments